Sunday, October 18, 2009

Let's Talk Cover Letters & Resume!

Rich said:

As interdisciplinary students, it is important for our resumes to highlight our interdisciplinaity. For example: my resume lists previous jobs (salesman, clerk, hospital worker, customer service) and those job duties in a way that showcases my interdisciplinarity. A cover letter is no exception. In fact, the cover letter serves as an opportunity to explain how and why we are interdisciplinary people that are the best candidates for the job!

Fortunately, upon being laid off, I was offered free resume and job interview courses at Right Management in Maitland. There, I was instructed to hand over my current resume, and from there I was offered suggestions on what to change on the resume.

I also learned these valuable tips: KEEP THE RESUME UNDER ONE PAGE! DO NOT WRITE “REFRENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST” because that’s a given, DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR AGE, etc.

Mentees: I suggest you take advantage of CAREER SERVICES because they will help with a resume. After all, your tuition is covering these services, so you should take advantage of them!


Andres said:

Hi Mentees!

We are in a stepping stone on our lives! The next step after or even
during college is a career. Or at least a job. A resume is an
essential tool to the development of you as a worker bee in todays
high demand society. Your unique advantage is your
interdisciplinarity. Mention your areas of study,make yourself as
multi-talented as possible. A tour de force, renaissance man or woman.
Cover letters are really an optional thing to me. However they are
particularly necessary if this is a follow up to a preliminary
meeting. Its a way to address the interviewer, a quick sincere preview
of what you're about, and most importantly, building rapport with the
hirer.

resumes are a scary word to many, who would have a problem 'selling
yourself' be it from wanting remain humble or not feeling confident
enough. This is why its important to have good resume building skills.
David Silverman over at Harvard business has a blog highlighting
important aspects of a resume. visit here:

http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/silverman/

12 comments:

  1. Hey Rich!
    I know that you said that resumes should be only one page but I've heard a couple of different things like "Always put a cover letter" or have good references, do you think this would be a bad idea?
    I also think Resumes are very important and absolutely neccessary for a career. It is the only thing that really defines you and shows your personality and experience in just a couple of words.
    -Ivette :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivette,

    Yeah, I have heard some mixed suggestions about resumes. For example: a one page resume is ideal because it is said that the person reading it only spends about 20 seconds on it. If you feel it's absolutely necessary to include more info on the second page, then I'm sure that's fine. The COVER LETTER is a must as well. Resume plus cover letter!

    The cover and resume so important because they get you the interview, and then it's up to you...

    And of course, I'm not expert on this stuff! I'm just saying what I know because that is what I'm supposed to do here...

    Ask questions. Listen to suggestions. Take all of the suggestions "with a grain of salt"! IF you think your resume is pretty good, it probably is! If you're not sure, get some opinions and touch it up until you are confident with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice! Ya resumes are so extrmemly important and I feel like you have to have a couple of different ones. For instance, I have a resume for the work I've done in sales and businesses but I also have the resume of what I have done as far as acting and singing. It's all about creating what you think that employer "wants to see" instead of just giving him your whole life story biography.
    -Ivette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich--

    How could I get involved in the free resume and job interview courses at Right Management?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich--

    One more question... What jobs should I include on my resume? I've worked so many jobs that may seem irrelevant, and on past resumes I have left some of the jobs I've held completely out. Advice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I previously wrote a practice cover letter for a non-profit organization that helps mentor foster children. I never sent it in, but hopefully before I graduate I will. My question is, since I have past history dealing with foster children and families, should I include valuable information about some of the knowledge I've gained in my personal life?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your resume can highlight your interdisciplinary degree because it can highlight your main areas of study and the internships you have completed during your college years that have been in various areas that you have studied. Some questions that I have about cover letters are how specific do they need to be and how important are they in the job selection process? Some questions I have about resumes are do they have to be one page? Some advice I have for others is to make sure you highlight your most important accomplishments first on your resume, followed by the least. Also, at the bottom of your resume you should state that references can be provided upon request.
    Here is a helpful link I found pertaining to cover letters and resumes:
    http://career-advice.monster.com/resumes-cover-letters/resume-writing-tips/resume-critique-checklist/article.aspx
    I think everyone should check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ivette-
    Thats interesting, I never thought about making seperate resumes when applying to different jobs. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rich-
    My opinion is to only include relevant jobs pertaining to the job you are applying for :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What are ways your resume can highlight your interdisciplinarity?
    My resume clearly highlights the diverse jobs skills I have attained through my part-time job experiences. I have completed various tasks in jobs that have allowed me to become promoted and further advances to success. I am certified in two specialized training exercises that I have passed. I have graduated high school with a solid GPA and that proves that I am able to accomplish a college degree. My unique skills in itself show that I am capable of doing anything within means.

    Some questions I have about cover letters:
    Are cover letters necessary when handing in a resume to employers?
    How long should a cover letter be?


    Jordan Claire

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chelsea,

    The free resume help is through UCF's Career Services department (check out the school website for more info.), and the Right Management training was paid for by my former employer.

    I hope I answered your questions.

    -Rich

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chelsea,

    To answer your second set of questions: Try to only include work history that is relevant to the job in which you are applying.

    Inconsistencies or anything that doesn't look "good" on your behalf should probably be omitted from the resume.

    My advise is to make a rough outline of all of your work and educational experience, and bring it to career services. SERIOUSLY, we are all paying top dollar for these services at UCF, so if I could give you any advice, it would be to bring up questions you have to the faculty. GET YOUR MONEY'S WORTH$ $ $

    I hope this helped!

    -Rich

    ReplyDelete