Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Philosophy of Professionalism

Hello mentees!!

Philosophy and a professional life seem contradictory. But they both dwell well in the real of the love for something. To love something its important to understand it. We both look at what we want to do and feel passionate about.

BELIEVE in what you’re doing is my personal philosophy is concerning my professional life. If you’re a salesman and you don’t believe the product you are selling is not good, then you’re not going to have as much luck selling the product. When you believe in what you do, and you know why, the JOB and its processes tend to be more successful.

Also, breaking down the tasks and responsibilities of the job in order of priority, and having realistic goals makes this philosophy interdisciplinary. Having perspective in all areas of your life in general, and knowing how they interconnect and benefit each other makes it INTERDISCIPLINARY.

For Rich, career goals have changed in recent years mainly in regard to my perception and philosophy of work. Money is important, but MEANING and satisfaction take priority. In his future career, he knows he’ll have enough money to buy pretty much whatever he needs, but whether not he feels like he's making a difference in the job is going to be the challenging part. It only took him about 24 years to come up with this philosophy!

For Andres, he's gone through a series of changes. He's wanted to do movies, accounting, finance, engineering and has settled for marketing after dwelling into advertisement. Its a proces of doing what feels right. Some may say he's indecisive but but he's consistent in his endeavors to make sure he's not stuck doing something boring or unethical for the rest of his life.

8 comments:

  1. My personal philosophy concerning my professional life is that it will be one with great ethical values. I will be employee who always comes to work on time, treats others with respect, provides open communication, and follows company guidelines.
    I will also find different charitable organizations in my community that I can become actively involved in so that I can continue to give back to the community in my professional life.
    This philosophy is one that shows interdisciplinary traits because I will become involved in many different areas of nonprofit work and they will have different focuses and meanings.
    My career goals have not altered this far in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marlee,

    THANK YOU FOR COMMENTING! Your personal philosophy regarding the importance of remaining ethical and philanthropically involved is admirable.

    I think it's safe to say you're on the right track!


    Best,

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your feedback, Rich. I greatly appreciate it!

    :)
    Marlee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jordan Claire

    My personal philosophy concerning my professional life is that if I work hard now it will be greatly rewarded in the future. No matter what I do I will believe in it only if it is legitimate and honest. I will not feel comfortable working with someone or something that doesn’t interest me or isn’t accurate. I will work hard at anything but it has to be real and there has to be facts to support it.

    My philosophy is interdisciplinary because I have to be able to use different skills and functions to achieve my career goals. I believe my philosophy is completely interdisciplinary in every aspect in which my focuses of study alone will be the minimum for me to complete my personal goals.

    My career goals have altered in that the bottom line is that I will work hard no matter what. It is the only way for me to be where I want and for me to gain success in everything that I do. My career goals are to be successful and failure is not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich,

    I completely agree when you say BELIEVE in what you do. I am currently in sales as you know and I would stop doing what I do if I didn't believe the product I am selling is true and real. Selling something is very easy as long as you believe in it. My philosophy is somewhat similar to yours as well. I appreciate it.

    Jordan Claire

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andres,

    I agree with your statements as well with whatever I do I want it to interest me and be as ethical to me as possible. If something isn't ethical for me I have the self-power to stop what I am doing and do a self-evaluation on what I should be doing right.

    Jordan Claire

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jordan,

    you definitely want to be able to lay your head down at night.

    ReplyDelete