Sunday, November 8, 2009

Interviewing anonymous



Interviews tend to be very standard. The reason for these scripted almost autonomous processes is the amount of interviews that companies go through. After a while the standard questions can seem to get a series of cliched responses from prospecting hirees. The standard questions vary but are never too far from:

Tell me about yourself.

Why should we hire you?

What are your goals? How will the company benefit you?

how has your education prepared you for the job?

Whats your weakness?


etc...

These are all questions to measure your ability to be brief precise and articulate. Good social skills to have in a hustle and bustle professional environment.

Non standard question seek to individualize you as a person rather than a possible employee:

How long have you been job hunting?

How did you prepare for this interview.?

What kinds of people do you have difficulty working with?

Why do you want this job?

When have you been most satisfied with your career?

etc...

These questions are often testy and are a sort of prying, opening-a-can-of-worms questions that will try and catch you off guard but show good character.

Your interview process will also include either a phone or a panel instead of one on one. Phone is a little more impersonal so make sure you project your voice well and are brief, theres a reason that you're not being brought in. On panel interviews though, theres the issue of having people all giving you attention. These are reserved for special managerial roles that require calmness and collectivity. Make sure you make eye contact with all people interviewing you even if they do not address you, not only cordial, but you never know who's decision will hinge their decision.

Now, let's talk about money. The reason why we work!

Do what you love and you wont have to work a day in your life. Unfortunately for many of us, we cant wakeup late with a hangover and eat cereal at 2PM and get paid for it. So working and money goes hand in hand. We want to get paid good so we want to ask, "so how much ya payin'?" right out of the gate, Doesn't work that way. The key is to leave it to the end, never put it on a resume or write on an application, you don't want to seem eager, and you also do not want to settle. Money may be important to your job process but it should never be the sole reason.

8 comments:

  1. I think that when it comes to an interview, it is extremely important to make a good first impression. I am take a Social Psychology course and it explains how after an interview, that person is most likely to be hired 5 minutes after the first interview or not at all. With that being said, making a good first impression is absolutely everything in order to get a job. Some of us think, "Well even though I came late to my first interview, they will like my resume." This is obviously not the case do to the studies that have been done on new hires.

    -Ivette Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than having a good first impression you must also walk into the room confident in knowing that you are perfect for the job. The night before you have to get yourself prepared. Make sure you have the correct resume that includes the experience you have the pertains to the job you want. You have to make good eye contact and be prepared to ask the grueling questions. I think it's best if you walk in with the feeling that you have already relieved the job and now you can explain the benefits you will being to the company.

    Ivette Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 2nd set of questions that rich listed

    How long have you been job hunting?


    How did you prepare for this interview.?


    What kinds of people do you have difficulty working with?


    Why do you want this job?


    When have you been most satisfied with your career?

    wouldn't really throw me off that much... but at this one particular job that I had I was put through three seperate interviews, with three seperate managers.

    In my third and final interview, the manager asked me.. "Did you hate your last boss?"
    followed with "Why would you leave if you enjoyed it, and didn't hate your boss?"

    I was so shocked! I just never expected that to come up in an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with ivette, you should always walk into an interview stong and confident. When i am preparing for an interview, I tell myself that I already have the job, but you can't be too confident or cocky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When is the best time to ask about the amount you will be getting paid? I've never asked an employer, but it kind of matters now. Is there even a proper way to ask?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best way to answer the standard interview questions, which are the normal interview questions most companies use, are to state the facts and be able to articulate these responses with assertiveness. The best way to answer the out of the ballpark non standardized questions is to be calm and show that these certain questions put not pressure on you what so ever.


    A phone interview is a tough process even though I never have had one, I witnessed my cousin have a phone interview with a tax firm and it was pretty unpleasant as I recall. I see no reason to have a phone interview because I felt it was not a normal conversation and there is no way for them to see who you really are. So from my knowledge I would say just be calm and collective and listen specifically to details in questions that they ask you. I would have to say you have to be prepared for a panel interview since those are a little more extensive.

    I feel like the best time to talk about salary is at the conclusion of the interview. It will come up when the interviewer or yourself comes to a point of comfortability. No matter what happens salary will come up regardless. My only advice would be not to put in writing because that would be settling for pay when you don't know the exact job requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only way to have a successful interview is to be strong and confident. Never put your guard down when the interviewer asks stumbling questions. I agree with you Ivette as well. Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jordan-
    I completely agree with you when you state you think the most important factor in a successful interview is to be confident. It shows you are sure of yourself and never doubt yourself in anyway. I definately think employers want to hire an individual that has a strong confident presence.
    -Marlee

    ReplyDelete